Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Gospel of Agriculture

Recently I attended the Agricultural Outlook Forum 2011 edition in Washington D.C. technically it was held at Gateway Marriott in Crystal City.  You may be wondering what in the world does this have to do with me?  At this point that is a valid question but give me a moment to set the stage. The speaker for Thursday morning was former President Bill Clinton and amongst other things he shared this story:

They were in a small village in a developing country in Africa in which they were helping poor farmers  develop more efficient farming techniques. This would allow them to maximize the yields of their crops and in turn generate more income. For the first time they would receive income as result of the surplus of crops. Previously, they only traded their crops to obtain the bear necessities needed to survive. When it was time for them to receive their payment they requested only 55% of their income. You ask what did they desire be done with the other 45% of their income? They requested that it be used to buy the inputs needed so others in their village could do the same thing they were doing. Remember they never received income before.

Some of you missed that but the moral of the story is this their heart was to see their brother prosper just as much as their own desire to prosper. Their attitude was not to get as much as I can get, but it was take what I needed and help my brother with the rest.  The sooner we embrace this concept the more we look like children of God.  Let us learn from this example our brothers set forth.

Scripture Reference: Gal. 6:2

God bless,
Bondservant Hollis

No comments:

Post a Comment