Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Heart For People

I was watching my favorite show the other day the Young and the Restless (secret confession) and became convicted.  How is that this soap opera drama can invoke so much emotion out of me.  I mean it is scripted well written in my opinion but it is make believe. What troubled me is when I came to this realization that my emotions are not invoke in the same way when I hear about a person that died on the news.  I asked myself why is it that when real people who die everyday that my heart is not move with compassion?  Has my heart become so desensitized that I accept it as the expected norm, yet when Cane dies on the Young and the Restless I am almost in tears.  Has my heart become that cold as it relates to God's image!  Why isn't my heart moved to compassion when I see our young people wasting their life away in the streets? Why isn't my heart moved to compassion when I see my brother or sister walking in the cold?  Why isn't my heart moved to compassion when I see a brother or sister struggling with an addiction?  Why isn't my heart moved to compassion when I see my brother or sister hungry?  Why isn't my heart moved to compassion when I see my brother or sister in need of shelter?  Why isn't my heart moved to compassion when I see my brother or sister in need of a Savior?  Why isn't my heart moved to compassion when I see my brother or sister in need of a Redeemer? Why isn't my heart moved to compassion when I see my brother or sister in need of  peace?  I could go on and on.

The answer to the question is probably more disturbing than the question itself.  I've come to realize that I don't love Christ as much as I like to think I do.  Christ was compassionate toward individuals he wept for people and compassion was often the motivating factor that cause him to heal.  If i loved  Christ the way I profess then I would naturally be a more compassionate Christian.  Here is the good news I still have breath in my body which means there is still time.  This is not to say that I am not a compassionate person some would say I am compassionate but it is to say that there is tons of room for growth. 

A heart that has no compassionate for others is a heart that is far away from Christ!  I am just being transparent this morning and I pray you can learn from my shortcomings that you may better represent the kingdom.

Scripture Reference: Ephesians 4:32a

God bless,
Bondservant Hollis

No comments:

Post a Comment