Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Favor Ain't Fair

This infamous phrase was made famous by the now infamous Bishop Eddie Long.  What's interesting is I submit to you that it is biblical.  Let's just take a brief look at the opening verses of Malachi where the Lord says Jacob I have loved but Esau I have hated. In other words without getting to far into a theological disputation the text is literally suggesting that God has favored Jacob or Esau.  If you research the history between the Jacob and Esau though many have speculated to the reasons God has favored Jacob there is no biblical indication.  In fact one would think of the two brothers God would favor Esau the elder brother and his father's favorite but God decided to favor Jacob. Jacob the liar and trickster.  That reveals to us a couple of things about God's favor:

  1. God's favor is not based upon what you do.  If I could testify  for a moment I know I am not all that I should be or even completely obedient to God's will and yet God blesses me.  All I can say is favor ain't fair.
  2. God's favor is unexplainable.  If I could testify for a moment I can't explain why God has provided me with the opportunities that he has.  All I can say is favor ain't fair.
Now the question becomes how do you know that you are Jacob not Esau.  It is simple Jacob fathered Judah who ended up with the royal scepter that eventually led to David on down to forty and two generations to the birth of Jesus The Christ.  Who God who so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son (Jesus) that whosoever believe in Him can become apart of the royal lineage.

Scripture Reference: Malachi 1:1-3

God bless,
Bondservant Hollis

No comments:

Post a Comment